Thursday 12 December 2013

Day Two, and feeling blue :(

I woke up this morning with high hopes. I could see the digital clock, which has never happened before, but that's been the best of it. I looked in the mirror and my eyes look bleary and bloodshot, with dark circles.




Nothing at all is clear, not in the distance and certainly not with my "closeup" eye. That one is absolutely, completely useless.

I naively thought that when one eye was focussed to be good for near-vision, it would still be the same as it had been previously for distance, but just clearer closeup. Previously I would have described it as 80-90% ok for distance viewing. Now, ALL that vision is lost. It's a mess. For anything further away than 30cm from my face, it's like trying to look underwater.

I had to drop the car down to the garage for a service this morning, and I took a 30 minute walk home in the sunshine. When I had the monovision contact lenses in, I had such enjoyment of the world around me. I couldn't wait to have the surgery and enjoy the same level of crispness and detail.

At the moment, this is nothing like that. Everything is fuzzy. The distance eye is certainly poorer than it was before, though weirdly, it is focussing just fine closeup! That's the eye that is enabling me to read things I couldn't read before.

Meanwhile the closeup eye, as we've discussed, is just rubbish for anything except threading a needle... and I don't sew.

I am starting to feel like I've made a big mistake. I am already starting to research "lasik revision surgery" but the thing that is making me feel sick are the words I read in the consent form. "Laser eye surgery is irreversible."

Why would they have recommended monovision for me? Why render one eye useless?

I still need to stay positive and look to the 4-week, 8-week and 12-week marks. Healing takes time. It must be normal to have these doubts and fears... right?

No comments:

Post a Comment